Tuesday 14 January 2014

MOG #22: B'ingPostive

I am very excited to share this one with you. This is Maddie, a remarkable young lady whose striking story speaks for itself. I'll add in my thoughts at the end.
It's hard to believe that one year ago today I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia. It is still so surreal to think that not only have I been face-to-face with such a scary cancer, but my friends and family were always there to support me. I remember when we got the phone call saying the words a parent ever wants to hear, 'your daughter has cancer'. 


 I was about to go to costco with my dad after a long weekend of an anticipated final appointment with a hematologist. Other than the scary bone marrow biopsy, it was a normal day. I will never forget the look on my parents' face when they walked into the room and had to tell me the dreaded diagnosis. I just started screaming 'why' and crying hysterically crying. With the help of my family I packed my things and headed to the Juravinski Hospital where I began my long, scary, very real journey. I was never alone. 

Through chemotherapy, the ICU, nasty bone marrow biopsies, radiation, a stem cell transplant and many other procedures, my friends and family were always by my side. My outlook on life has changed drastically. I no longer have the time to sweat the small stuff nor do I have the time for people that do. I can say with full confidence that I never thought in a million years that I would ever have to go through this hell of a journey. I am so blessed for each and every person who has helped me along the way. It made me stronger knowing that people were praying for my survival. 

People ask me all the time what 'BPositive' means and why I say it all the time. On the first day in the hospital I needed blood transfusions before I started any treatments. I never knew what my blood type was and she the nurse brought my transfusions into my room and said 'BPositive' I took it as a sign that everything was going to be okay. It put me at ease and has been my mantra ever since. So when times are hard, just remember that your attitude and positivity are 80% of the battle. There is no use in worrying about the hints you can't change. Just find the good in the bad and dance in the rain! My journey will never be over but I'm glad I'm sleeping in my own bed tonight. I kicked cancers ass and I am proud of it! BPositive!!!

***
I made this title B'ingPositive to relfect Maddie's current state; she is a human Being; she is Being positive, she is Being granted more years on this earth to do her thing. 'Be' works on its own, espeically for the way she framed it- you really can't argue with that positive logic. I just see Being as a bigger verb, a more powerful word, and a sentiment that greater reflects what this girl is doing, not did or will do. She is here, in all forms and tenses, she is here. She is Being the best that she can be. She is living beautifully and she is finding gratitude in just Being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment