Wednesday 19 February 2014

MOG #45: The wake up

One of my earliest memories of Marissa is talking to her on the playground and her showing me the latest dance she was practicing for competition season. One of my more recent memories with her happened one blurry night downtown where we found each other on the dance floor and took a minute to catch up. Through our life updates came numerous "I'm so proud of you!"'s and a couple "that's amazing! good for you!". A very supportive reunion on both accounts. When a Facebook status of hers came across my timeline I read half of it before I messaged her to write an MOG. Her enthusiastic response was nothing short of what I had expected from this genuine, loving and brave girl I had seen come to know during recess and in that crowded bar. Let her words resonate with you through a very unexpected story as much as they did me and her circle of friends. 

Last week, I was headed up to Kingston to visit my friend for her birthday and drove into some bad weather along the 401. I hit some black ice and lost total control of my car causing me to swerve off the highway. My car rolled over multiple times into a deep ditch and is now completely totaled. After being rushed to the hospital and finding out that I’m okay, the paramedics told me that they dealt with multiple deaths that week from the same type of accident I just experienced. Hearing that made me think critically about how come I am deserving of another chance over the other casualties. I am not one to live life in a cautious manor. I abuse my body and have spent a lot of time looking at the negatives in my life as opposed to the positives; feeling sorry for myself from other things life has thrown at me. After loosing my father to cancer 3 years ago I lost faith in God as I have had trouble believing that if there was a God, how could he take someone so important away from me. This whole experience however has definitely been a wake up call and made me change my mindset. We all tend to think were invincible and that it’ll “never be us” but its times like this where you realize how precious life really is and that in the blink of an eye it can be taken from you. I have restored my faith in God as I am so lucky and thankful that I managed to get out of the accident alive, and in one piece. I have no doubt in my mind that my father was looking down on me and played a role in ensuring my safety. I have always hoped that his since his passing he was still present in my life and I feel as though this is proof that he is my guardian angel looking out for me. Not everyone gets a second chance at life, and for the first time in a long time I feel like God has a plan for me and that I am worthy of a good and happy life. I will not take another day for granted as each day is a gift and needs to be cherished. I am grateful for my life, all the wonderful family and friends in my life and a chance to start over.

Marissa: "Yes use that one picture; it kind of looks like a celebratory picture and I am celebrating life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment