Wednesday 26 February 2014

MOG #49: Across the Kilometers

You've meet Kathleen before, (re: Unhooking), and she's back with some more gracious thoughts to share. Her words always fall off the screen and into my lap the way that stories were read to me growing up; there is a wisdom here, a sense of nostalgia and a overarching theme of all the ways love can manifest. 


We met when we were in grade 9. Two 14 year olds, with so much in common; including our first names. Yes Kathleen and I quickly became best friends and dubbed ourselves KathleenSquared. We shared a lot of life experiences and we shared a social group for most of high school. We did a lot of typical high school best friend things. We went shopping, bought matching shirts, took selfies, played the piano and karaoke’d songs. We went bowling, went to fairs, had sleepovers and attended one another’s parties. We talked about boys; we coached each other about boys and were there for each other over MSN, the phone or in person when life threw knocks to our teenage selves.

A few years ago she went away to a Catholic University which was quite a distance from where our homes are. That was no obstacle; we moved from MSN and the land line to cell phones and Facebook.  In her second year she started dating a guy she had met at school. I was more than happy for her, thankful that she had found a good guy after some of the iffy guys she had been involved with in high school. In the winter semester of my second year which was the end of her third and final year she called me one day at 2am to tell me that she was engaged. I was overjoyed.

A couple months later while she was sleeping over for a few days she asked me to be a bridesmaid. Naturally I said yes. It was the very first time I had been asked to be in a wedding. We got to planning and the date was set for the following summer.  Around the same time she announced that she was going back to school but this time she was going to BC. Yes, she was going even further away then she had been before and was also planning a wedding.

Over the course of that year from Ontario to BC we talked often, with her wedding being a major topic. Being so far away from each other I think we only saw each other once on Christmas break. If I had been with her I think I would have known or at least sensed “it”.

“It” did not come to light until May, a few months before her wedding. I got a phone call one afternoon; it was Kathleen. I wasn’t expecting her to call. She was crying and the next thing I knew she was telling me she had broken off her engagement and called off the wedding. I hadn’t seen it coming. I wished I had. I wished we lived closer together. I tried to hug her with my words over the phone. I told her I would support her no matter what happened and I stuck to that.

Life went on, people were really hard on her but I honestly believe(d) she had made the right decision. Marrying that guy was not the right thing for her to do. Better to call it off and discover later it was the right thing rather than go ahead and do it and discover it wasn’t right. That summer she was back home in Ancaster and I was in Burlington and so we were able to spend some time together.
During the summer she introduced me to a male friend of hers. The first day we spent all together we went to Canada’s Wonderland. I watched them together and I wondered to myself in my all knowing best friend way if this guy was actually the right one.

Early last fall she called me and told me that she was dating that guy: I was in no way surprised to hear this and once again I threw my support behind her as others scoffed at her for dating a guy so soon after breaking her engagement and wedding. But I just knew it was the right thing.

At Christmas I saw both of them and became more assured that this guy was indeed the right guy. As the semester got rolling I had the itch to travel and spent hours looking at all inclusive vacations, cruises and Groupon’s. 11 days before Reading Week began I was suddenly struck by the idea of going to BC to visit Kathleen. I called her and found out she could make it work for the week so the next thing I knew I was booking flights. I was going to BC to visit my best friend for Reading Week.

Reading Week is now drawing to a close and I am back in Ontario. I spent a joyous and beautiful few days with Kathleen and her hilarious gentleman boyfriend who is skilled in opening two car doors for two ladies at one time. I made the right decision. It was the best Reading Week I could have imagined. BC is beautiful, it was 9 degrees Celsius which felt warm compared to the Ontario winter we have had.
I have been learning over the past couple of years that friendships can very quickly change for a variety of reasons and if you have a friendship that remains strong and you are still close, even across the kilometers; THAT is a friendship you should hold onto. I am never letting go of her. I am so excited to see what happens in the future; for our friendship and for her relationship with the right guy; the sun is shining bright on us.

Love you Kath, Thanks for being so loyal and steadfast in this ever changing world.




No comments:

Post a Comment