Friday 27 June 2014

MOG #78: The first step

Another anonymous post with a very perceptive message....


No kid ever hopes to have the words "I think my parents are going to get a divorce" become a prominent thought in their mind, but for some, when the inevitable time comes when their parents do in fact separate, it becomes a part of life you have to deal with and most importantly learn and grow from. The learning in itself could be its own MOG, as I feel grateful (in a meaning of its own) that things played out the way they did - I was able to learn so much from the experience and my parents clearly weren't happy anymore. I don't want that to be the focus though, the focus to me feels like it should be showing gratitude for how far I feel both of my parents have come since then. Getting divorced is only the first step, the much bigger steps lie in finding real happiness (again), and being able to truly move on from that stage of your life. It took a long time for my parents to take those final steps, further complicated by the two children in the middle of things, but I feel like I can now step back and say they are happier now than I think I have ever seen them, and for that I am grateful. The hardest part of being in that situation was seeing my parents fight tooth and nail for several years, when all you hope for is them to focus on finding that happiness; it seems so obvious yet I'm sure it's a lot harder to find the right path to take being in that situation. It's hard to watch your parents go through such an emotional battle; I can't even begin to imagine the toll it took on them. They both are now involved with other people, seem much happier, and it's conveyed in their actions and emotions and I couldn't be more grateful that they've made it to where they are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment