Sunday 12 October 2014

MOG #93: Finding and holding on


Nancy just gets it. Beautiful words from a beautiful girl, spoken from experience, with an attitude of change and a heart of gold. Thanks for writing you lovely soul. 


Its funny how things pan out sometimes. When you just stop thinking and worrying, sometimes things just fall into place.  A perfect example of this is how I have wanted to start a blog for the past couple weeks, but didn't have the courage to start one. A day after I told my roommates I wanted to, I get a message from Mary asking me to write something for her blog. It was perfect timing and a great opportunity. My moment of gratitude isn’t one specific thing, but about finding and holding on to the small joys in life. I know it can be hard to take the time to enjoy the small things, especially when you are surrounded by so much chaos in our insanely fast paced lives. But when you can finally take a minute to slow down and take in all the beautiful things to be thankful for, your life will slowly brighten up. I’m not saying I am some sort of inspirational guru, I get down and finding the positive in life wasn't and still isn’t always easy for me. Waking up with the weight of the world on my shoulders and my heart racing was a common occurrence for me, but I am thrilled to say that this summer things have changed. Most mornings I wake up with a sense of calm, I feel refreshed in a way. I start thinking about all the small things I am so grateful for, like my room in my student house, waking up to a “good morning beautiful” text from a man who has put a permanent smile on my face, getting to come home to the most wonderful roommates after long day of class and having the strongest mother to turn to everyday. I am not perfect, I have really bad days, and I understand that it’s hard to pick out the positive in life when you feel so overwhelmed with the negative. Even though five good things may have happened to you today that one negative has outweighed all the good.  The one thing that helps me get through those really horrible, terrible bad days is the idea that everything happens for a reason. I truly believe in this notion, you may not be able to figure out what the reason is right away but eventually, when you stop thinking about how sad you are you will have stumbled upon the reason without even realizing it.  Once you have found that reason, hold onto it and never let it go, because the next time something bad may happen to you holding on to that past reason will give you hope that one-day things might just make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment