Tuesday 17 February 2015

MOG #101: For Wade

This MOG is a little different, but really, they’re all a little different, and that’s the point.

Earlier today I was introduced to this article through school as it was an exemplar of persuasion writing that held rhetorical devices to communication meaning and merit. The topic of the article is mental health, so the blending of these two worlds is a nice way to stay cross-cultural.

Today I read the story of NHL defensemen and forward, Wade Belak, though the eyes of well-known TSN reporter Michael Landsberg (@heylandsberg).


Here's the link to the article 

(http://leftbehindbysuicide.org/blog/landsberg-his-depression-and-his-friend-wade-belak/) 

Here are my MOG thoughts on it: 

I’ve never been a sports fan. I can appreciate the appreciation, but words like “striking and fielding”, “drills” and “strategy” don’t quite resonate with me the same way words like “quite” or “resonate” do. But for once I feel like I can understand some realm of sports through an avenue I continually walk down- that of mental health. 

One rhetorical device used in this article is that of the sentence fragment, which by definition means an incomplete thought with a lost meaning. I think that’s like when you perform a movement in sports but you don’t necessarily follow through. Whichever realm, there’s a disconnect because something hasn’t been brought together. 

Today I thought about sentence fragments and how that rhetorical device is really an isolated moment itself. Maybe we’re all just a bunch of life fragments, brought together by a common thread of this time line called the present moment. Maybe we together we can make a paragraph. 
Then an essay. 
Perhaps, a novel. 

And how lucky we are to contribute to it all.

It's not about how often you contribute or what last name you sign at the bottom- rather it's what you contribute that makes the page full, or the move compete, or the message delivered. 


Tonight, I’m grateful for the person who brought this text to my attention and the structure under which this text was studied. Further, I'm grateful to this writer who so graciously speaks on behalf of a friend in both a heartfelt and educational way, not to make a spectacle, but to bring forth awareness, dignity and love to a widely criticized issue. Lastly, I feel grateful to witness, once again, what can happen when we take the “I” out of “illness” and replace it with a “We” to create “Wellness”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment