Wednesday 22 January 2014

MOG #28: Better together

For the first time in four years I don't have a class with this individual, and I'm so, so sad. Since first year drama classes we've been the apple of each other's eye in various social settings, always commenting on the latest pop culture reference or singing some song from song musical or just sharing giggles of mutual respect. What a guy. I will always remember our first interaction.. some weird skit where we just kept saying "hello" on the 'phone' to each other really loudly; I think you were imitating the stories I had told you about my family- still makes me crack up. One time in a class he quoted something I had reflected on, and took my word into something even further in a way that I never thought of. Instant tears both in that moment and in this one of reflection.  Here's a lovely little post about friends, growing up, and change. Sam, I'm so glad you got around to posting. You'll always be my favourite long-limbed human. 

Being asked by someone to write something that you’re grateful for is probably one of the most difficult things to do. It’s difficult because you begin to think about your life as a whole, while remembering what exactly you’re grateful for, and it makes you remember the million things that have happened to you in your life that made you smile. One thing came to my mind though, and here I go trying to put what makes me smile everyday into words.
I’m grateful for university, but I’m way more grateful for my roommates. Coming into university can be one of the scariest times in someones life and often we seek out people in the first week of being there to make us feel at home and comfortable. From the first day of university, I had already met some of the people that would change my life forever. By the end of second semester, I knew that I had four individuals that would be with me until graduation day, and hopefully many years after that.
Friendship is one of the most interesting things in this world, and I couldn’t be more thankful that I made the friends that I did. These are the four people who have changed my life by creating an environment where I felt able and comfortable to finally be myself and where I could finally show the world who I was. As cliche and corny as all of this sounds, and as many Tumblr quotes that you can read saying the same thing, this is my reality and I couldn’t be more grateful for it. I came into university closeted, and honestly incredibly afraid to be myself by telling the people I loved most that I was gay. I’m sure my roommates had no idea of exactly what they were doing, and how much good it did me, which is another reason why I think our friendship is that much more important. Somehow five people being themselves and figuring their first years of university created an opportunity and space for me to change my life. I often think about what would have happened if I hadn’t moved away to school or if I hadn’t met these people, and nothing is scarier for me to think about. Being grateful for their friendships means that I couldn’t imagine my life without them. Not only did they create a space where I felt able to come out to them in confidence, but they carried that out by always supporting me in everything I did thereafter. I did the same for them (just as any good friend would) and the longer I’ve known them the more I find that we’re constantly there for each other no matter the circumstances.
I’m grateful for these friendships because they are the glue that seems to have held my sanity together over these stressful and difficult years. There is nothing that we haven’t talked about, or dealt with, and as individual as we all are I like to think that we operate best as a team. We’ve been through thick and thin and like I’ve said before, I couldn’t be happier about it. Friendship is often this thing that nobody really acknowledges or talks about because we assume it will always be there and be as strong as it always has been. That’s why I’ve chosen to talk about it in my moment, so that I could put it into words for people to see and for people to know how important they are to me. Some people have fought with their roommates, changed schools, moved out and moved on. I’m grateful that I have had the time of my life with four people that I went from calling strangers, to calling family. If you’re going to take anything from this moment, tell your friends, family or special someone just how important they are to you. Being honest and open about stuff like that is something you should never be ashamed to talk about. It’s things like that that show people just how much you mean to them, and how without them, you’re not really sure if you would be as happy as you are today

No comments:

Post a Comment