Friday 31 January 2014

MOG #35: January Review: the team

Every month my goal is to connect your lovely mogs into some sort of theme and present a highlight reel. As our first month comes to an end, I  just wanted to thank you all for jumping on board. I had no idea this would turn into what it has. Your support is tremendous. I can't wait to see what next month, yet alone the next year brings. At a loss for words when I try to find the sentiment to thank you all enough. Ugh seriously, y'all are the best. 
I learned a lot this week. Heck, I’ve learned a lot this year ; both in the academic sense and the past 31 days of 2014. If I had to sum it up in word though, it would be: team. For several reasons, I’ve been able to really come to understand what it means to be supported and to support someone else. If you know me, you know that I’ve never played organized sports, but since high school I’ve called my family my team, or gathered my house for a team dinner, or worked closely with my co-workers to have team meetings. Team isn’t a new concept to me , but this week I came to understand that word much more closely.
There are different kinds of teams.
The ones you’ve been on since you were 10, the ones that were with you through all the elementary school drama all the way through to university level break downs. Countless hours spent just thinking of all the things that we needed to fix and fix them together we did. So many messages, so many phone calls, so many words of encouragement, all to do just do it all again for the other person within the next few weeks. These types of teams past the point of friendship- its a team that becomes a family team. It’s a bond that cannot be broken by distance.
I have the team that I live with; two girls who have carried me through this year; who I come home to in more ways than one. Sometimes all it takes is one conversation to bring you back to where you you need to be. This week we were a team because we made each other better.
I have a team of coworkers who I love spending time with every Monday. Spending time with likeminded people brings out the best in you sometimes- this group of talented young writers make me edit everything more than a few times but not just on paper; I subconsciously edit my thoughts or my ideas, because I want to direct my thoughts into something worth talking about. This week I got to redefine my goals for my section and I felt supported by several of these team members; real people who really appreciate the words and the things that I do. These individuals make up so much of my week and I couldn't imagine my fourth year at school without them.
I have a team at home- a set of friends who check in, just to say hi just see whats good. The kind of friendships that pick back up again where you left them when you both got busy making your dreams come true. The bookmarks that keep our spots. The familiar. The grounding.

Now I'm a part of a newer team; a two person team.  A kind of team thats made on a promise. The team that is made of equals, whose only goal is to make each other happier. Someone who walked into my life and fit immediately into my everyday. someone worth my attention. It's a new team, a new set of circumstances, a new set of parameters. But there are so many signs that point to his definite place in my plans. An anchor. An encouraging, smart, brave, passionate, kind, remarkable compilation of cells I get become allied with. A real teammate. It’s as simple as that.

Teams can take years to make, or even weeks to get back on track, and days to spend together. it doesn't take long to realize who you want on your team. Once you find them, the games get easier to handle. 

How lucky am I to have all of these individuals in my life. So many different teams, but all extensions of myself; people who make my days worth pursuing. Humans that make my being worthwhile.

But of course, I can’t mention team without mentioning all of you!! You readers, you contributors, you people I get to call my friends. Thank you for writing, thank you for reading. Thank your for coming along with me.

As promised, here is a highlight reel of this month’s posts;

1: Doorsteps and stairwells: dedicated to my brother
2. Babysitting band aids: written by my great friend Andrea; our first contributor, and an awesome first post
3:To you and your kin: an account of family,  written by Bri, with so much love
4: Banks of blanks
5. Wallet sized: Kendra, thank you.
6. Mom: one of my favourite things I’ve ever written
7: When the music hits you: Matt, you have a good heart 
8. A letter of acceptance: Alex is going to change the world with her kindness one day
9. Unhooking: Kathleen writes about standing on her own two feet
10. Mr Z: Jackie, you are already an amazing teacher
11. Sarah: Thank you.
12. More than Sparks: Seriously if you haven’t read this one, you need to right now
13. Look, Crapbag: a crowd favourite
14. New: “Here’s to the new year and another chance to get it right” written by a songbird, Stef Dauglis
15. The “change room”: Dana writes about what happens when you just help someones
16. Just January: one of the most honest things I’ve ever put out there
17. Love in Letters: Good job to both Katie Trav
18. Little, but a lot: Alex just gets it
19. Family room: Cody is going to be famous one day
20. Knocks of Opportunity: Michael! You’re great!
21. Through and through: Sean you are very brave
22. B’ingPositive: one of our most popular posts ever- Maddie you are a wonderful soul
23. A prelude for your thoughts: from me to you
24. Forever moments: a love letter
25. Triple F: Lacey is one of the most loving humans on this earth
26. Seeing clearly: heartbreakingly honest
27. With a little help from my friends: Very genuine, very thought provoking
28. Better Together: Good job Samuel
29. The yell: beautiful prose from a beautiful girl
30. Great Days: Steeeeeve, what a good person you are
31. Revision: goals, goals, goals
32. Go with it: roommate anecdotes
33. And it’s only 1030: You are a good soul
34: T: ugh, you.

Can't thank you all enough. Thanks for being on the team.


No comments:

Post a Comment