Saturday 22 February 2014

MOG #47: ReJoyce

Today's MOG comes from one of my favourite people ever; Lacey.  She's someone I can look to for advice, for support and for a laugh- what more could you ask for in a friend? She wrote some very beautiful words for some very special people in her life.Today is my parents 26th anniversary. To give you a little back-story about my parent’s marriage — they eloped at City Hall. 

They decided to get married on February 14thand went to the courthouse on February 22nd.  They wanted a small, intimate ceremony with only two witnesses, my dad’s twin sister and a family friend. My moment of gratitude revolves around the example that my parents constantly set for my brother, sister and I of a strong healthy relationship. 

My parent’s marriage has kept our family sane as they raised three children ridiculously close in age (currently 21, 22 and 23 years old). From tagging off between hockey practices, karate lessons, and wrestling tournaments, they were our number one fans providing us with every opportunity possible to engage in whatever activity we wanted to do that year. Working together through thick and thin, they provided us kids with strong values of family, love and trust.

A moment that tome defines my parent’s relationship was a vacation that they took four yearsago. My parents took a week-long vacation in the summer as they always do, however this time they stayed home, rented scaffolding and painted the siding on our house together. That was their vacation. Spending long hours in the heat talking, and painting all week. And, here’s the kicker: they actually enjoyed it! It takes a special kind of relationship to experience any level of joy in that “vacation.”
  
Another moment that displays my parents’ strong relationship, and the moment that sparked this MOG was the other day when I caught my parents racing each other to make their bed. My dad yelled out “ready, set, go!” and they were off. Of course, I joined in cheering for my mom; my dad was cheating (as usual) pulling the covers out of my mom’s hands. It’s these goofy moments that happen day-to-day where they make silly challenges, whose batch of homemade jam tastes better, or racing each other for the TV remote, that exemplifies the strong, loving relationship that they demonstrate for us.

Happy anniversary you two; I am grateful you found each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment