Friday 14 March 2014

MOG #57: Constant

Alex sent me a a message the other day saying she wrote an MOG. It was just about the time where I was going to message her and say I had written one too. We had written about our admiration and respect for each other. Talk about twin telepathy. Her's will be up shortly, but for now, here are some of the kindest words I've ever encountered 

Sometimes, when you’ve been friends with someone for a long time, you start to take them for granted. You assume they know how important they are to you, and you go about your business, putting off a “thank you”, “miss you” or “love you” until tomorrow because you know that you can.  I guess today I’ve decided not to put it off, and express my gratitude for my very best friend, Mary. 

Mary and I have been friends for thirteen years. When you say it out loud it’s a little crazy to think about. For thirteen years, I have looked to my right to find her. Since we were 9, I have known that she was only a mere phone call, text message, facebook post, 2-minute drive or 10-minute jog away.  This distance grew only slightly and only physically when we left for different universities 4 years ago, at which point we would be separated by a whopping 40-minute drive to St. Catherines.  Though this distance may have allowed for more time to pass between phone calls, we both knew that we could always come home to one another. 

I have never truly appreciated the ease in which Mary and I remain so close. We have gone weeks without a text message but never do I doubt our friendship. This is one of the elements of our relationship that reinforce the notion that we are not only friends, but are more like sisters.  Much like a relationship that you may have with a family member, you know that neither distance nor inconsistent communication can alter your relationship with one another. 

On Friday, Mary made the trip to see me in Hamilton and I don’t think I’ve ever been more grateful to have her in my life. Much like having a 6th sense, Mary and I can usually tell when the other person may be going through a bit of a rough patch or may be on the verge of a mental break down. So Mary packed a bag, got on a bus and made her way over. As soon as she arrived it was like the pressures of the looming final month of my undergraduate degree, an impending job hunt and people who just don’t get it, all just seemed to melt away.  I remembered that even if everything in my life seems to be slipping through my fingers and I’m really not sure of anything, I can always be sure of Mary. She is the constant in my life that I can count on having until we’re old ladies singing Brittany Spears in a nursing home. 

So, in short, I’m grateful for Mary. I’m grateful for trips to Wal-Mart, Target, and Sushi. I’m excited for concerts, Jays games, NYC, Italy (again), to stand beside you in a yellow dress on your wedding day and every other little thing we get to do together as the years continue to pass by.  Love you, Mare. 






Camp Bébeuf
Grade 8 (2006)    


No comments:

Post a Comment