Tuesday 24 March 2015

MOG #104: For knowing you

Thank you Alex for another beautiful post.

It's not often that the word gratitude comes to mind when reminiscing about someone we've lost.


Today, marks the two year anniversary of the death of a friend of mine. He was a 10 year old participant at a program I worked for, for individuals who have special needs.  Zachary was a bright light, with an infectious laugh, playful spirit, strong will and gentle soul.

And though I am not grateful that we lost him, there are a number of things that I am grateful for, for knowing him:

I am grateful to have gotten to spend so much time playing with, and caring for him.
I am grateful that he was a part of the journey that lead me to my love of working with people who have special needs.
I am grateful for every time he playfully pulled my hair and laughed about it uncontrollably.
I am grateful for getting to see him walk when it wasn't all that easy.

He taught me that if you have an open mind and an open heart, you can find a friend in anyone.

You will always be missed and love dearly, Zach.

03.24.2013

No comments:

Post a Comment